Zabriskie Point, Death Valley NP

IMG_2582.jpg

To celebrate six months of recovery from knee surgery, Nick and I went on a six-day bike tour through Death Valley National Park in March. While some people write the park off as “nothing but nasty rock and salt,” we thought it was amazing. A furnace-like, sub-sea-level basin is surrounded by towering peaks frosted with winter snow. Mud crusted roads are lined with delicate wildflowers. Lush oases harbor tiny fish and refuge for wildlife and humans. It is a land of extremes.

On our fourth day in the park, I left the tour group in the wee pre-dawn hours and rode to Zabriskie Point to photograph sunrise. That solo-ride in and of itself was worth it – pedaling along in silence under blue moonlight. At Zabriskie Point, I waited patiently for almost an hour. The cold desert breeze blew through my thin cycling clothes. Goosebumps grew on my goosebumps. Then, slowly, the sun’s rays illuminated the Panamint Range on the far side of the valley, and night let the park slip through her cool fingers into the waiting arms of another 90-degree day.

12 comments for “Zabriskie Point, Death Valley NP

1. April 4, 2014 at 10:13 am

Those are fantastic Carrie. That was a magical week in many ways. You were a wonderful part of the Death Valley adventure. Someone asked what my favorite part of the week was and what came to me was when you two jumped and joined me singing Monty Python’s ‘universe song’. Indeed it is a crazy fun ride on this rapidly spinning world. cheers, Helen

• Carry
      April 4, 2014 at 10:17 am

Thanks Helen! We keep telling people how much fun we had – the people, the location, evening song time :-), everything!

2. April 4, 2014 at 10:14 am

sorry, I spelled your name wrong :0)

3. Patrick
    April 4, 2014 at 11:13 am

Lovley pictures; thanks for sharing.
    It was great to share the riding experience with you, Nick, the other riders, and Helen and Isabel. Riding the valley with the vistas unfolding as I cranked the miles was truly a wonderful experience and a great way to see the valley’s grandeur. Best Regards, Patrick

• Carry
      April 4, 2014 at 11:40 am

Hope to ride with you again sometime Patrick! You’re an animal!

4. Mark Erskine
    April 4, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Ah… I found the non-FB imports! Great stuff Carry!

5. Jo (of the ladies!)
    April 4, 2014 at 1:15 pm

Carry,

The pictures are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing and certainly I’d love to see more! It was a magical experience, more so because we did it from the saddle of our bikes. The east coast awaits you!

Jo

• Carry
      April 4, 2014 at 1:20 pm

I agree! Riding lets you really know a place…including the 97-degree temperatures!

6. Jeff
    April 5, 2014 at 5:10 pm

Great photos – beautiful colors and contrast in the folds. Way better than Artist’s Drive – wish I’d gotten up with you.

7. January 7, 2015 at 4:06 pm

Hi Carry,
    I work in the Tours Department at Adventure Cycling Association in Missoula, MT. I received the link to your photos from your tour album from Death Valley last 2014 from Helen Pilling (one of your tour leaders.) I think your photos are very cool and show the geologic and natural diversity of DV! I wondered if we could use one of them in one of our banner ads for our Guided Tours page for Death Valley? If you are a professional photographer and require a fee, please let me know and I’ll find out what (or how much) we can pay to be able to use them.

Thanks Carry!