Officially my most favorite breakfast. Ever.

Eating a whole-foods, plant-based diet often means we choose to forgo enjoying some great-tasting foods (boeuf bourguignon, anyone?). Other times, our way of eating leads me to a dish that is so amazingly awesomely good that basically I could eat it every day for the rest of my life and never, ever, tire of it. Really. Never.

Let me count the virtues of the breakfast marvel we discovered this week, starting with the flavor. It’s creamy without being fattening, lightly fruit sweetened, ever so slightly tangy, and full of soft oaty goodness. Then there’s the a.m. prep time – VIRTUALLY ZILCH! That’s right, all you have to do is stumble into your kitchen, open the fridge, and eat. All the time you saved not making breakfast in the morning can now be used to savor a second cup of coffee or tea while gazing out the window at the morning rainbow. What?! You don’t see a rainbows every morning? Clearly, you have not eaten what I am about ready to share with you.

That’s right; this isn’t some big tease. Nope! Call me generous, because I’m going to give you the recipe so you can have breakfast bliss every day your heart desires. Just don’t call me if there’s a run on canned pineapple and oats at your local grocery store.

Overnight Pineapple Oats
Serves 2

1 cup rolled oats (not instant)
1/2 cup crushed pineapple
3/4 cup unsweetened soy milk
1 banana (or 1 cup of other chopped fruit)
1/4 cup chopped nuts
raisins or other dried fruit (optional)

The night before, combine the oats, pineapple and soy milk in a bowl and put it in the fridge. In the morning, top with the chopped fruit and nuts. Bon appetit!

Per Serving: 382 Calories; 14g Fat (31.0% calories from fat); 13g Protein; 56g Carbohydrate; 9g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 16mg Sodium.

8 comments for “Officially my most favorite breakfast. Ever.

1. Kathleen
    August 30, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Oh yum! I’m going to swap the soy milk for almond milk… so excited to add this to my morning offerings!

• Carry
      August 31, 2011 at 6:09 am

I’m curious to hear how the almond milk works, Kathleen! Part of the tanginess comes from the interaction of the acid in the crushed pineapple with the soy milk (think lemon juice and milk). Does the same thing happen with almond milk?

2. Anne
    August 30, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Okay, I’m hooked. I’ll whip up a batch next time I go to the store. I Love all the ingredients, and can’t wait to try it together. Mmmm, maybe wash it down with one of Mike’s famous spinach smoothies too. My system won’t know what hit it! Thanks for sharing. AND thanks for the salad box. Perfect.

• Carry
      August 31, 2011 at 6:43 am

Anne: I saw that Fred Meyer sold Westsoy’s organic unsweetened soy milk in their natural foods department. If you’re going to use soy milk instead of cow’s milk, that’s the one I’d recommend. TJ’s also has an unsweetened soy milk (look for it in a green carton) for $1.69 that’s just as good.

3. Ian
    August 31, 2011 at 7:27 am

I use both soy milk and almond – I’ll give it a try and report back 🙂

• Carry
      August 31, 2011 at 8:25 am

Ian, It just occurred to me, looking at the nutritional breakdown, that this could also be the perfect post-bike-ride recovery food. The carb to protein ratio is the magical 4:1. You’d just have to make sure you rode long enough to earn a 382-calorie snack!

I’m looking forward to your report.

4. Paula
    September 12, 2011 at 4:15 pm

I’ve just printed your recipe off thanks Carrie, I haven’t had crushed pineapple since I can remember when! Do you soak the dried fruit too? I’m wondering how cinnamon and berries might go? I’ll probably have to have this new brekkie every day for the next week to try all the different suggestions!

Paula G

• Carry
      September 12, 2011 at 4:41 pm

We don’t soak the dried fruit; we just toss it on top in the morning. Cinnamon and berries would probably be awesome! Give it a try and report back. Bon appetit!